You may not realize how important it is to know your laptop screen size until you need to. You may come across multiple occasions where such a laptop specification becomes pivotal. To aid in such occasions, I will provide a comprehensive guide to the many ways you can measure your laptop screen size.
There are many methods of finding your respective laptop screen size. You can choose any of the following methods that best suit you and your needs:
- Physically measuring your laptop screen with a tape measure
- Physically measuring your laptop screen using an object with known dimesions
- Enlist the help of the laptop manual or box
- Going into the ‘Specifcations’ tab in your laptops ‘Settings’
- Reading the specifications off of the laptop
- Virtual Rulers
- Downloading Configuration apps
There are many standard laptop sizes. Having such a wide variety of options to choose from – in terms of laptop sizes – can be overwhelming. Novice and experienced laptop users, alike, are constantly debating which laptop size is best suited for their needs.
So I will list down the pros and cons for each laptop screen size to help you make an informed decision when you choose a size.
Table of Contents
Methods of Measuring Laptop Screen Size
1. Physically Measuring Laptop Screen with a Tape Measure
The most straightforward and obvious way to measure your laptop screen size is to manually measure it using a measuring tape. You may be asking yourself “why a tape measure? why not a straight ruler?” While you CAN use a straight ruler, it would be more advisable to use a tape measure.
A tape measure is more flexible and hence, easier to use. The screen size measurement is also likely to be more accurate than a straight rule. But if you don’t have a measuring tape with you then a straight ruler works too.
Before you reach for the measure, you should know to avoid measuring the plastic edge – also known as ‘bezel’ – around your laptop screen. You need to ensure you are only measuring the screen without measuring the sides.
However, if you need the laptop screen measurements for the purpose of buying an appropriately sized bag or a screen protector, then you measure the bezel too.
You always measure your laptop’s screen dimensions diagonally. Measuring the dimensions vertically or horizontally will give the height and width of the screen, respectively.
You use the inches side of your tape measure. You start your measure from the top left corner of your screen and pull it down to the bottom right corner. The observed resultant will give you your laptop’s screen size.
2. Measuring your Laptop Screen Using an Object with Known Dimesions
This may be a prehistoric method of measuring your laptop’s physical screen size. But it is useful if you do not have any measuring tool and are limited on time.
If you have an object whose dimensions are confidently known to you then you can use that as a measure. Press the object against your screen and drag it across the entire area.
This method can only give you an estimate of your laptop’s screen size. For more accurate results you will have to resort to the methods listed ahead.
3. Laptop Manual or Box
When you buy a laptop, you purchase an aid kit. The kit is included in the box. It contains a booklet with instructions and information about the laptop. The required specification data can be found there.
Even if the manual was misplaced, the size of the laptop screen should be indicated on the box. The number is written with 2 apostrophes.
4. Exploring the ‘Specifcations’ Tab
If you do not want to measure your screen or possess your laptop’s manual then this is the method for you.
In some cases, like for Windows 10, the screen size can be found using the following steps:
- Go into laptop ‘Settings‘
- Enter ‘Display‘ folder
- Go into ‘Advance Display Settings‘
- The screen size should be listed with other specifcations
If the advanced display settings do not have the screen size then you will have to use your model code. Type the code into your search engine. The results will provide all the specifications of your laptop, including the screen size without measuring.
5. Reading the Specifications off the Laptop
Most laptops now come with stickers on the unit. These stickers have the major specifications of the laptop listed for users’ ease.
The specification sticker is usually at the bottom left of the keypad. The sticker will contain the screen size of your laptop model. Hence, this is another way to ditch the measuring tape and get the size without measuring.
6. Using Virtual Rulers
Virtual rulers are a very convenient way of measuring your laptop size. If you need to measure ‘bezel’ as well then this method is most advised.
This is less time-consuming than compared to searching for specifications. Most virtual rulers drag the edge of the ruler from one end to the other to get the measurements.
7. Installing Configuration Apps
Some apps or websites may require your display resolution and a few other screen specifications. Such apps include:
- AIDA 64 where the screen configuration is viewed under ‘Display‘ section and in the ‘Monitor‘ option. Click on the “Screen Type” to get the specifications.
- Advanced Sysinfo Tool and Reporting Assistant (ASTRA) is used to diagnose your computer system and determine relevant parameters.
- Everest Ultimate Edition program provides diagnostics, tests, and all the information about the laptop.
Importance of the Laptop Screen Size Specification
The laptop screen size may not jump out as being the most important specification of your laptop. However, in actuality, information regarding this specification comes in handy more times than you’d think.
You may have already come across a time where you needed to know your laptop screen size. You may have been faced with one of the following scenarios:
- You may need a laptop screen size that is easier to carry back and forth
- You may want to buy a new laptop with the same screen size as your prior laptop because it works best for you
- You may want a screen size big enough not to crowd your display mid work
- You may want to buy an appriopriately sized bag or screen protector for your laptop
It is also important to note that laptop screen size and screen resolution are two completely different specifications. This is a common misconception. A large screen may not have as high a resolution as, say, a smaller screen. That ultimately depends on your laptop model.
So if you are choosing a laptop screen size based on your need for watching movies or playing video games, then refer to the laptop resolution. Laptop screen size may not add to the gaming or movie experience like you’d think.
If you are faced with any of the above-mentioned situations then that is when knowing your laptop screen size is useful. ANd with the methods shared above, you can do so with or without measuring tape.
Standard Laptop Screen Sizes
Generally, laptop screens range from around 11 inches to 17 inches. Therefore, you have quite a choice here. Standard screen sizes include:
- 11.6 inches
- 12.1 inches
- 13.3 inches
- 14 inches
- 15 inches
- 15.6 inches
- 17 inches
The larger the screen size the greater will be the price of that laptop. Although the prices also depend on screen resolution.
Pros and Cons of Screen Sizes
11 Inch Screen
|Small storage capacity
13 Inch Screen
|The processor does not support gaming
|Many laptop options
|Small storage capacity
15 Inch Screen
|Not easily portable
17 Inch Screen
What are Other Display Specifications like Screen Resolution?
- Aspect ratio is the ratio of height and width in the frame
- The screen resolution shows how many elements of an image are available per unit of display area
- Pixel density shows how many pixels are located per 1 measured unit
Which Laptop Screen Size Is Best?
The best screen size depends on the type of usage. Generally:
- 11-13 inch for frequent travelling
- 13-15 inch for business work
- 15-17 inch for gaming purposes
What does diagonal screen size mean?
Diagonal size is a straight line connecting the corners on the opposite planes of the surface. So the diagonal of a laptop is the length of a line from the lower-left corner of the screen to the upper right corner. It is measured in inches.
Do Detachable Laptop Screens Solve Portability Issue?
Some laptop screens are able to detach from their unit and operate as a separate touchscreen. this will definitely solve the portability issue. If your laptop screen is large but is able to detach, then you can simply carry the screen as a smart pad.