Is your PS4 constantly disconnecting from your WiFi? Is it hampering your gaming experience? Well, then you have come to the right place! I will walk you through a series of troubleshooting methods that are guaranteed to fix the issue you are facing.
If your WiFi is disconnecting from your PS4, it can either be a hardware or software problem. In either case, the following are all the possible troubleshooting methods:
- Restart your game
- Restart your console
- Choose your own band frequency
- Reboot your router
- Delete and reinstall your game
- Reconstruct gaming setup
- Modify Domain Name System (DNS) on your console
- Transition to static IP address
- Recondition PS4 database
- Connect to an Ethernet cable
Unfortunately, WiFi disconnecting from your PS4 is only one of the many problems of PS4. Another issue may be that your PS4 controller disconnecting from your PC. If you are also facing this issue then do not worry! We will tackle that issue as well.
Why does the PS4 Disconnect from WiFi?
Following are the reasons your WiFi may constantly disconnect from your PS4:
- Slow internet speed
- Incorrect placement of router
- PS4 automatic software update
- Issues faced by your internet service provider
- Disconnected modem
Slow internet speed can be because of the number of users or devices. The more users or devices connected to the internet, the more will be the burden on the network and that will compromise the overall speed.
The placement of the router is crucial in determining the strength and longevity of the internet connection. If your router is not placed in close proximity to your console then it can result in breakage of internet connectivity.
PS4’s software updates are the most common reason for your WiFi to disconnect from your PS4. These updates have been proven to interfere with user’s internet and cause it to drop constantly.
Some internet issues may not be on your end. Problems faced by internet service providers – like bad weather – can hamper your internet activity.
Your modem may be disconnected. That would prevent the modem from catching the internet from your service provider.
Troubleshooting Methods – PS4 Disconnecting from WiFi
I am sure you have tried to rectify your PS4 internet disconnection issue several times with no luck. This is why I have narrowed down 9 simple solutions that are GUARANTEED to resolve the issue.
Restart your Game or Application
Often times your PS4 internet disconnection issue can be solved through the simplest of methods. It may even be so basic that you never thought it would even work. But sometimes it is the only solution.
In such a case, you will follow these straightforward steps:
- Go to the ‘Home‘ option in the game you are currently logged into
- On the ‘Home‘ tab press ‘Options‘ button using your controller
- Select ‘Close game‘ in the ‘Options‘ list
- Once your game is closed, restart it again
Restart your Entire Gaming Console
This may seem a tad bit extreme but trust me this is proven to work for various users. This may take a few minutes so be patient.
Before you dive into this solution I must warn you, this method will cause you to lose all your gaming data provided that you did not press ‘Save‘ before.
If you have saved your data, then run through these steps:
- Turn off your PS4 by pressing the ‘Power‘ button on the console
- Detach the gaming console from the power cable plugged in the back of the unit
- Wait for 5 seconds
- Reattach the gaming console to its power cable by plugging it back into the unit
- Turn the console ‘On‘ again by holding the ‘Power‘ button for 8-10 seconds
- Wait for the console to make a beep sound indicating it has been successfully turned on
- Connect your gaming controller to your console via USB connection
- Select the ‘Initialize PS4‘ option using your controller
If you did not save your gaming data and you still wish to restart your console, then you will follow the same steps as above. Except, in the last step you will select ‘Restart PS4‘ instead of ‘Initialize PS4‘.
Choose your Own Band Frequency of the Internet Connection
Firstly, you need to understand the difference between the previous PS4 and the PS4 Pro. The previous PS4 model only supports a 2.4 GHz, frequency band. While the PS4 Pro model supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands.
The previous PS4 models would be using a frequency band of 2.4 GHz. While PS4 PRO switches from 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. This feature was aimed at utilizing the fastest speed and enhancing the gaming experience.
Unfortunately, in actuality, it did the opposite. Switching between the different frequency bands created a lag in the game.
Selecting 1 frequency band that best suits you will help resolve this issue. But before making a choice you should know what each frequency band provides.
The 5 GHz frequency band will provide less coverage but a faster internet connection. While the 2.4 GHz frequency band will provide more coverage at the cost of a slower internet connection.
You can manually select the frequency band of your choice by:
- Go into your PS4 console’s ‘Settings‘
- Select ‘Network‘ option
- Open the ‘Setup Internet Connection‘ menu
- Click on ‘Use WiFi‘
- Choose ‘Easy‘ option
- Move to the bottom of the screen and select ‘Option‘ menu
- Select ‘WiFi frequency band‘ option
- Select the frequency band of your choice
Reboot Your WiFi Router or Complain to Internet Service Provider
If the router is the root cause of your PS4 internet issue then this method is the one for you! Follow the given steps to resolve this issue:
- Detach the power cable from the router unit
- Wait 10-15 seconds
- Plug your power cable back into your router unit
- Wait for the router to start
- Connect it to your PS4 console
If your problem is still not resolved then you may have to lodge a formal complaint to your internet service provider.
Delete and Reinstall Your Game
If you are facing the internet disconnectivity issue with only one game then the fault may lie in the game. To rectify this situation, you must reinstall the game. To do that you should:
- Select your problematic game
- Open the ‘Options‘ menu
- Select the ‘Delete‘
- Provide confirmation of action and press ‘Confirm‘
Once the game is deleted you must reinstall it. Either you reinstall by downloading the game from the PS4 store or you download it by inputting the physical disc of the game.
Remove Unnecessary Devices from Your Gaming Setup
Often times your gaming setup is creating an internet signal interference. By rearranging the setup you will be able to maximize the signal reaching your console.
You might find it beneficial to place your gaming console closer to your internet modem. The signals reaching the console will be stronger and less likely to disconnect. If there are other devices, they may interfere with the WiFi connection.
Another way to change your setup would be to remove any unnecessary devices located near your modem. That way, there will be no signal interference between the modem and the console. And this should fix PS4 keeps disconnecting from WiFi.
Change DNS settings on Your Console
Changing your DNS settings can provide better internet access and improve connectivity. You should choose the best functioning DNS. For that you will:
- Open your ‘Network‘ option in your PS4 ‘Settings‘
- Select ‘WiFi‘ under the ‘Setup internet connection‘ option
- Select ‘Custom‘
- Select ‘Automatic for IP address‘ settings
- Go into DNS settings and specify ‘Manual‘
- Type in (126.96.36.199) and (188.8.131.52) as Primary DNS and Secondary DNS respectively
- Under MTU settings select ‘Automatic‘
- Choose ‘Do not‘ for proxy server
- Select ‘Test your internet connection‘ after the DNS settings have been updated
Transition to Static IP Address
Static IP addresses are better than dynamic IP addresses in terms of internet speed and connectivity. For a static IP, you will have to change your local IP, as follows:
- Select ‘View Connection status‘ under ‘Network Settings‘
- Note the IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway
- Return to previous menu options
- Open ‘Set Up Internet Connection‘ and select ‘Use Wi-Fi‘
- Choose ‘Manual‘ under ‘Custom‘ menu
- Type the first 3 numbers of your IP and choose any number from 2-255 for your last number
- Type in the Default Gateway and Subnet Mask from step 2
- Select ‘Automatic‘ under the MTU settings
- Opt for ‘Do not use‘ under Proxy Server
- Select ‘Test your internet connection‘
Recondition Your PS4 Database
This method is most useful for software problems. But this is very time-consuming. It may take you 15 minutes to 1 hour to implement.
The steps are as follows:
- Turn your PS4 console off
- Wait 5 seconds
- Restart your PS4 by holding the power button for 8-10 seconds
- Connect your controllers to the console via USB cable
- Press the PlayStation button on your controller
- Select the ‘Rebuild Database‘
- Your PS4 will boot automatically
- Sign in to your PlayStation Network
- Connect and test the WiFi
Connect to an Ethernet Lan Cable
If the above solutions did not work then this would be the last resort. Connect your console to an Ethernet cable to improve speed by:
- Connect an ethernet cable to the ethernet ports of your router and console
- Turn your router and console on
- Open PS4 Settings
- Select ‘Set Up Internet Connection‘ in ‘Network‘
- Open ‘Use LAN Cable‘
- Choose ‘Easy‘
PS4 Controller Keeps Disconnecting from PC
PS4 controllers are infamous for disconnecting from the PC mid-game. This has enraged many gamers. If you are one of those gamers then stick around. I will help you through this problem.
Why does your Controller Desync?
The PS4 controllers are not without fault. But there are many reasons why these faults occur:
- Type of controller
- Flawed battery
- Faulty system
- Pc does not recognize your controller
- Faulty cable or USB port
If your controllers lag or disconnect, the solutions will remain constant.
How to fix Controller Connectivity
Here is a summary of the ways you can fix controller connectivity:
- Resync Controllers
- Restart Controllers
- Reset Controllers
This is the quickest and simplest solution. You don’t lose any of your game data through this. You will:
- Plug your PC into your Playstation
- Press and hold the Playstation button pressed
If you decide to restart your controller, you will be forfeiting your gaming data. But it may fix the issue of controller disconnection. You must follow these steps:
- Turn off your console
- Press and hold the power button until you hear 2 beeps
- Disconnect your console from its power source
- Wait a few minutes
- Replug your console back into the main power source
- Connect your Controller to the system with the same USB cable
When you reset your controllers, it will return your settings back to default. This method is comparatively easier. It goes as:
- Turn off your console
- Unplug your controller
- Locate the small reset button near the controllers L2 handle
- Acquire a small tool to press the button located in step 3
- Press and hold the button for a few seconds
- Release the button
- Plug your controller back in
- Turn on your console
PS4 Controller Keeps Disconnecting from PC Bluetooth
If your controller is connected via Bluetooth then the method to correct the disconnection of the controller from the PC is fairly simple:
- Open the control panel on your PC and select ‘Devices and Printers‘
- Select PS4 controller device, and click on ‘Remove device‘
- Open the Bluetooth settings and select ‘Add Bluetooth device‘
- Press ‘PlayStation‘ and ‘Share‘ button on your controller simultaneously
- Your PC will detect the controller with flashing lights
- Open ‘Properties‘
- Select ‘Drivers for keyboard‘ and click and confirm on ‘Apply’
- Open ‘Bluetooth‘ menu on your PC and select ‘Allow any device‘
- Reconnect your controller
PS4 Controller Keeps Disconnecting from PC USB
If your controller – that is connected via USB – is disconnecting from your PC. This occurs due to many reasons:
- Faulty USB cable or port
- Outdated DS4 version
- Changing controllers mid-game
If you replace your USB cable or fix your USB port then you can fix the disconnection issue. If the issue is still not resolved then update your DS4.
Why does PS4 turn on/off by itself?
- Faulty hard drive
- Auto-update is on
- PS4 is in sleep mode
- Outdated software
- Lack of power supply
What does the red light on PS4 controller indicate?
It may indicate broken hardware or a faulty USB port charger. Normally, PS4 controllers show different colors like red. Each is interpreted differently.
How to increase storage space in PS4?
- Delete unused games
- Reconfigure PS4 database
- Installing larger hard drives