There is a very common bug happening in many PS4 controllers and that is Yellow or Orange light blinking. Does this also happen to you when you try to plug in the controller? Don’t worry, as this guide covers all the reasons behind this problem and its solutions.
This problem can happen either because of software bugs or some hardware issue. It mostly occurs when you connect the Dualshock 4 controller to devices other than PS4 and you can solve it just by resetting the remote. But if it is because of hardware, then it may get complicated.
How to fix the blinking yellow light on the PS4 controller? PS4 controller Orange Yellow Light
There are several reasons behind the blinking orange yellow light on PS4 controller error. If you have connected a controller to some other device like a tablet or smartphone, then this error can occur. It can also occur because of hardware issues. For instance, the PS button can get faulty or it is not connected properly. You can also call it PS4 controller orange light blinking.
After researching the all causes, our team has prepared a list of solutions that will help rectify this problem. We have listed solutions in a manner from simple to complex. These are as follows:
- Check Connections of Controller.
- Reset Bluetooth Connections.
- PS Button Solution.
- Reset the Controller.
- Reset the Console.
- Boot your PS4 in Safe Mode.
1. Check Connections of Controller
The first and foremost step is to check the connections of the Dualshock 4 controller to the console. You need to check if the controller is properly connected to the console or not. Also, try using different ports of the console, as sometimes there is a problem in the port.
Moreover, the USB cable can be problematic. To ensure this, try using different USB cables. And if after using a different cable the yellow or orange light turns to blue or white light, then your cable is faulty.
Always use a high-quality connection cable. Because it not only improves the stability but also improves the data transfer and charging speeds.
2. Reset Bluetooth Connections
Most of the time, the flashing PS4 controller orange light occurs when you have connected your controller to some device other than a PlayStation console. These devices may be a smartphone, tablets or some other devices.
Also Read: How to Setup, Join and Talk to PS4 players
In such devices, you can connect the Dualshock 4 controller through Bluetooth by using the PS4 Remote Play app. This app helps you in controlling the controller over these devices. This app is available on both Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
If the blinking yellow light problem is because of the bugs in Bluetooth, then you can resolve it through this app. Therefore, you need to reset the Bluetooth connection. You can do it by following the steps given below:
- After installing the Remote Play App, open it and sign in to your account. Also, the account should be the same as on the console.
- Now, click on the Start button and waits until the controller connects to your device.
- After that, go to Settings, then Devices in the app.
- In the devices menu, tap on Bluetooth Devices and Select your Dualshock controller.
- Now, tap on options and finally tap on Forget device.
After this, Bluetooth settings will be reset to default. For reconnecting the DS4 controller, press and hold the PS button and Share button until the blue light starts blinking. Now, you can pair it again with the console or whatever device you want.
3. Press the PS Button Solution
Sometimes this error happens, due to a faulty PS button. However, it can be solved by just pressing the PS button repeatedly. For this you need to follow the exact procedure explain below:
- Connect your PS4 controller to the PS4 console via USB cable.
- Restart your console.
- After booting up, you will see the pop-up on the screen “Press PS button to use the controller”.
- After that, unplug the controller and replug it.
- When you replug it back, then keep repeatedly pressing the PS button. So that, the blue light starts flashing.
After a few seconds, this blinking blue light will become solid. Now, check if your problem solves or not.
4. Reset the PS4 Controller
If you have tried the above solutions and the problem persists, then you should try resetting your controller. Sometimes the problem happens due to some software bugs in the controller. The method of resetting the controller is fairly easy as mentioned below:
- First, unplug your controller from the console.
- Now, on the backside of the controller, locate the small hole near the L2 shoulder button.
- Inside this small hole, there is a reset button. Take a pin or needle and insert it into this small hole.
- Press and hold the button inside the hole for at least 10 seconds. This will reset your controller.
- Now, plug your controller into the console using the USB cable.
- When the pop-up comes, press the PS button on the controller to use it with the console.
Now, check if the orange light blinking stops or not.
5. Boot your PS4 in Safe Mode
If resetting the DS4 controller did not work for you, then try starting your PS4 console in the Safe mode. To get PS4 in safe mode, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, turn off your PS4 with the power button.
- Now, press and hold the power button of the PS4 for 10 seconds and wait for the second beep.
- After that, plug the controller back into the console via USB cable.
- Press the PlayStation button. You will see some options on the screen.
- Select the “Restart PS4” using your controller.
After this, your console will start in safe mode. Now check if this quick fix solves the problem or not.
6. Reset Your PS4 Console
Sometimes the bugs come in the software of PS4 Console which disturbs the normal working. In most cases, it is solved by just restarting the console. But if it doesn’t work then you need to reset your console.
Also, there is one thing you should know that after reset, you will lose all your data stored on the console. So, if you need your data you can make a backup of this data on some external storage device and then restore it after.
For reset, follow the given steps:
- Firstly, turn off your PS4 and disconnect all wired connections other than the power cable.
- Now, press and hold the power button of the console for 10 seconds and wait for the second beep.
- After that, plug the controller back into the console via USB cable.
- Press the PlayStation button. You will see some options on the screen. Select the “Initialize PS4” using your controller.
This will erase all your settings and data stored on the console and will reset it to default settings. Also, if you don’t want to lose your data, you can select “Restart PS4” instead of “initialize” on the start page.
If you have tried all the solutions given above and nothing works for you, then there may be a serious problem with your PlayStation 4. In this case, the problem is because of hardware issues. So, you need to take it to some professional and they will repair it for you.
Also Read: Best Gaming TV’s For Gaming Enthusiasts
But, if still, it could not get a repair, then you may need to replace your DS4 controller or console and buy a new one.
What does flashing yellow orange light mean on PS4?
Each light color on the PS4 controller has some distinct meaning. The blinking yellow light on the controller means that it is connected via a USB cable and it is charging. While the solid yellow orange light tells us that the controller is in rest mode or not in use.
What does it mean when the PS4 light is blinking blue?
Each light color on the PS4 controller has some distinct meaning. PS4 controller can be connected to the console wirelessly using Bluetooth. So, the PS4 controller blinks blue light when is trying to pair with the device and this blue light becomes solid when it succeeds in connection.
In this article, we have discussed all the possible causes of blinking yellow light error and also proposed some solutions. In most cases, it can get fixed by just resetting Bluetooth connections or the controller. But, in some cases, it may require some other solutions which are discussed in detail as above.
Hope this article has helped you in solving your error. If not, let us know in the comments below and we’ll be glad to help!