Does your PS4 controller keep on blinking red? Is your PS4 controller not charging? Dig in to find out ways to fix it.
PS4 controller might be blinking because some sort of hardware issue. The charging port of the controller might be faulty or there might be an unstable connection between the battery and the port. You can fix these issues by restarting your PS4 console or by replacing the USB charging cable.
Colors play a huge role when it comes to PS4 controllers. Different colors indicate different functionalities at times.
Additionally, Colors also indicate different moves while playing a certain game. Red blinking light can indicate different things when it comes to different games.
For example while playing certain games the light bar might turn red to indicate the players health and in other games the light bar might turn red when a player dies.
Incase your controller keeps blinking red even while you are not playing any game and your controller is not charging you most probably have ran into a hardware issue. Even if it is blinking with some other color, like yellow, something might be wrong.
Table of Contents
Why is my PS4 Controller Glowing Red?
There can be a handful of reasons why your PS4 controller keeps on blinking red. The most common and frequently talked about reasons have been mentioned below:
- Faulty charging port
- Old or faulty battery
- Unsteady connection between the battery and the port
- Dirty and filthy controller
- Faulty ribbon cable
1. Faulty charging port
Firstly, one of the most common reason why your PS4 controller might be blinking red is because your charging port is defective. This defective port will not be able to connect with the battery.
There are certain things that you can look for to determine whether the charging port of your PS4 controller is broken or not:
- Your controller is not charging even after being connected to the cable
- There is dust and filth stuck in your charging port
- The pins in the charging port are broken or damaged
2. Old or faulty battery
You might be facing issues with your controller because either your battery is old or is damaged. When a battery is old it fails to hold charge. Hence, this would lead to the red light blinking issue with your PS4 controller.
3. Unsteady connection between the battery and the charging port
It is always good to check whether the port and the battery is connected properly and that the connection is not loose. So, try replacing the connection wire if it has become too loose.
4. Dirty and filthy controller
Dirt and filth stuck in your controller’s charging port can also be a reason behind the red light blinking issue. Consequently, you should make sure that your controller is cleaned thoroughly especially the charging port.
You can use ear cleaning nubs or by blowing air over the port. Moreover, a low power vacuum can also do the job.
5. Faulty ribbon cable
Finally, a faulty ribbon cable might be the reason behind this issue. A faulty ribbon cable indicates broken hardware. This results in the controller not being charged and the battery keeps on draining.
Ways to fix PS4 Controller Blinking Red
There are certain well known ways through which you can get rid of this fault. They are mentioned below:
- Unplug/replug charging cord
- Clean your controller
- Restart PS4 controller
- Restart PS4 Console
- Restart PS4 in safe mode
- Replace USB charging cable
- Change PS4 controller ribbon cable
1. Unplug/replug charging cord
Firstly, there is a solid chance that the charging USB is not connected properly to the charging port.
What you should do to fix this is to unplug the charging cord, wait for a minute or two and then replug the charger.
This should fix the issue, if not look at the other fixes mentioned below.
2. Clean your controller
As mentioned in the reasons above dust and grime can be the reason behind a loose connection between the charging port and the charging cable.
The best way to get rid of this filth is to thoroughly clean your controller.
To clean controller:
- Step 1: Take a queue tip and dip it in isopropyl alcohol and let it soak for a few minutes
- Step 2: Take the queue tip out and thoroughly clean the charging port and all the buttons
- Step 3: After cleaning it let the controller air dry
3. Restart the PS4 controller
We know it is one of the old ways but it works wonders when it comes to technology.
To reset controller:
- Step 1: There is a small rest button on the back of your PS4 controller near the L2 button. Try and locate it
- Step 2: Use a SIM card opener or a paperclip to push the button
- Step 3: Hold the button in for 5 second
- Step 4: Reconnect the USB charger back into your controller
This method will help you get rid of any error with your PS4 controller.
4. Restart PS4 Console
There is a chance that the issue might be with your PS4 Console and not with the controller.
To reset console:
- Step 1: Turn your PS4 off by pressing and holding down the power button on your PS4 for 10 seconds
- Step 2: Take the power cord out from the back of your PS4
- Step 3: Wait for around 3-5 minutes
- Step 4: Plug the power cord back into your PS4
- Step 5: Turn on your PS4
- Step 6: Plug the USB charging cable back into your controller
By restarting your PS4, you will be able to get rid of any issue within the PS4 Console.
5. Try Restarting the PS4 in Safe Mode
Restarting PS4 in safe mode will help get rid of any issue with the software.
To restart PS4 in safe mode:
- Step 1: Turn your PS4 off
- Step 2: Press and hold on to the power button for 10 seconds till you hear two beeps
- Step 3: Connect your controller to the charging cable
- Step 4: Press onto the PS button located on your controller
- Step 5: Restart your PS4
6. Replace USB cable
Finally, there is a chance that the charging USB cable is defective. The best thing you can do is to buy a new charging cable for your PS4 controllers. But you might want to check around, maybe you have a spare one lying around.
Frequently Asked Questions
The only way you can change the color of your controller’s light bar is by making four different profiles on your PS4 and corresponding them with different colors.
To change the color make 4 different profiles in your PS4 And switch to the other user without logging out from the first one. By switching the user you will also be changing the color of your controller.
Different colors are used to indicate different players in PS4. Like for example:
Player 1 = Pink color
Player 2 = Blue color
Player 3 = Red color
Player 4 = Green color
For certain games, different colors can indicate moves. For example in Grand Theft Auto IV by Rockstar Games, the Dualshock PS4 controller blinks red and blue whenever the character is being chased by police.
In conclusion, there is no need to panic if your controller keeps on blinking red. This issue is very common and easily fixable. Just follow the given methods and you will be able to fix this issue in no time. If not, talk to us in the comments below and we will do all we can to help!