Monitors have grown wider and wider over time to provide more space and resolution for videos and gaming. Setting up your screen horizontally may come easy to you — that’s how it’s depicted on the box, but it may not be the most effective option when you’re working.
A vertical monitor will improve designing vertical layouts, writing and examining large sections of code, reading your favorite E-book, viewing search engine results, browsing through an online article, and making you more productive and your viewing experience more enjoyable.
Table of Contents
What Are Vertical Monitors Used For?
While reading, writing, or editing hundreds of lines of text, when you reach the end of a line of written text, you must shift your gaze to the start of the following line. So your eyes might move side to side, creating unnecessary pressure.
Also, when you reach the end of a line of written text, you must shift your gaze to the start of the following line, which might create neck strain if you do it continuously.
A vertical monitor is the best gadget you can get hold of to avoid these things. You will be scrolling down the text on a vertical monitor rather than side to side, and this helps your eyes perform better and puts less pressure on them.
If you are a programmer or coder, having a vertical screen monitor can benefit you. You will be able to read more code at once and avoid the need to scroll between the codes to figure out any bugs. So investing in a vertical monitor can be ideal.
For the most part, vertical displays can provide an excellent option, depending on your requirements. If you simply want to try, I advise you to do so since it may be a fantastic choice that you won’t realize until you experience it.
How To Set Up a Vertical Monitor in a Few Easy Steps?
Here is a step-by-step guide on setting up a monitor arm stand, beginning with the physical setup.
Getting and fixing the monitor:
1. The first step is to buy a monitor. You should get one with a high-resolution (1080p or above) and appropriate size monitor. This will assure greater quality when multitasking on your computer.
2. Next, you’ll need to locate an arm stand or some sort of monitor mount that can support your displays and either attach to the desk or sit on top of it. The arms stand lets you set the two monitors side by side rather than next to each other on the desk.
3. On a conventional workstation, you’ll want to measure how far apart you want your monitors to be and how high they should be off the ground – usually about eye level or below.
4. You’ll now need to connect your displays to the arm stand or mount that’s been installed on the wall and you’re done with the fix-up.
Setting up the Vertical Monitor
For Windows operating system – Windows 10, 7
- Right-click the desktop and choose ‘Display Settings’ on Windows 10 or ‘Screen Resolution’ on Windows 7.
- This brings up a new window with a variety of options. To change the display orientation, go to ‘Display orientation’ and select Landscape or Portrait from the drop-down menu. In your scenario, when you want vertical orientation, you pick Portrait and press the Apply button.
For the Mac operating system
- From the Apple menu, select System Preferences.
- Click the “Displays” icon while holding down the Cmd+Alt keys.
- Look for the newly exposed ‘Rotation’ drop-down menu on the right side of the Display settings.
- Set to the desired rotation. In this instance, the display would most likely rotate 90° to enter a vertical page layout configuration.
- Close the System Preferences window to keep the modifications in place.
That’s it! You’ve just set up and enabled your vertical monitor ready to go.
Advantages and Benefits of Vertical Monitors
Vertical monitors are an excellent choice for persons whose primary profession involves writing lines and lines of computer code, such as programmers, software developers, content writers, proofreaders, and content editors. Companies that employ for such purposes should definitely afford multiple screen workstation arrangements. The advantages of these arrangements far outweigh the price.
Photographers – When photographing portraits, amateur or professional photographers or graphic designers will find a vertical monitor to be a preferable alternative over a landscape. A photo on a vertical monitor screen receives more allocated area for editing or showing to clients.
Day Traders – If you are into Day Trading equities, Forex, or cryptocurrencies, you will profit from a vertical monitor, especially if you have many monitors. The data on different platforms will be simpler to follow, and a vertical monitor will allow you to respond faster on many fronts.
Gamers and Streamers – Even professional streamers utilize them from time to time. Why? Because they may have streaming video in the upper part of their vertical screen and a chatbox with their supporters in the lower part. There are also games built for portrait screen orientation. Other advantages of vertical screens for gamers include having discord or team talk open in the bottom section of the screen, as well as having other web pages that are beneficial for the game open in the bottom part of the screen.
Casual Browsing – Sites like Reddit or Quora spring to mind for normal internet users since they rely on a large number of responses and comments underneath the original topic. This leads us back to the fact that reading text on vertical screens works better in general.
Vertical monitor arrangements are ideal for various applications such as coding, content production, and more.
However, it is possible that this is not the best configuration for general use. In that situation, you may need to consider if you really require the vertical layout. Gamers may also gain an advantage or none at all, depending on their interests. At the same time, standard mainstream video producers will do far better with a horizontal screen.
Overall, vertical monitors are a welcome addition to the market and will continue to be developed and improved for a long time. Would you consider adding a vertical monitor to your setup with all the knowledge you now have? All you need is a mount to physically spin your display, and you’re ready to go.