Discord is a famous voice-over-internet protocol(VoIP), that offers the standard services of voice calls, text messages, group chats, and video calls, etc. for users. Also, you can connect to groups of people in the form of chat rooms or as they call it, “servers“.
Evidently, Discord is extremely famous for the amazing features it offers. It has gained immense publicity due to its efficient delivery of services and free-of-cost service.
However, people who use it a lot often suggest to the app developers how they wish they could change the sound effects. Have you also been wondering How to change discord sound effects? Well, we have just the answer for you.
I always customize all my apps. The same goes with Discord. I will discuss with you today, how it is possible to change discord notification sounds.
Ways of changing Discord sound effects
There are some ways you can change the notification sounds in Discord. These ways do not work with the Discord phone or browser. We will discuss both the ways that work with the Discord app on the PC. Hope this helps you!
1. Using AppData
In order to use customized sounds in your Discord app, you will have to implement this method on the Discord app. Since the Discord app stores its data on the PC’s local folder in the AppData, this data can be overwritten with the data of our choice.
This is why this fix does not apply to the browser or the phone. It is also not applicable to the app itself.
So, to change Discord sounds, do the following steps,
- Download the sounds that you want to replace the default Discord sounds with.
- Go to your Desktop.
- In your search bar, search for ” AppData\Local\Discord\app-(version)\resources\sounds “.
- Open the folder that contains the sounds that you downloaded in step 1.
- Overwrite the sounds folder opened in step 3 by the sounds you have opened in step 4.
- The new sounds will now be played instead of the older ones.
This is a typical method of changing the Discord sounds which is mostly used by everyone. However, after the new version of discord was released, the file directory was adjusted such that the sound files also existed in App Data\Roaming\Discord\app-(version)\Cache. In this case, there is a chance that you may mess things up and may have to reinstall the entire software.
Below I have discussed another method of discord change notification sound if you are not happy with the Discord sound files anymore.
2. Better Discord
To apply this method to your system, you need to have the Discord app downloaded on your system. It will not work on the browser application. First, you will need to install a couple of things for this method like Better Discord.
To begin with, you will have to download BandagedBD or Bandaged BetterDiscord’s safer version from its website. Some people believe that it is an unsafe application but Bandaged BD is a safe app. You will have to be wary of 3rd party applications on the app that may infiltrate your system in the form of themes.
After downloading, scroll down to the left side menu and find plugins. Here, open the plugins folder, which will be an empty folder. Now you will have to download the plugin folder from here. Next, you have to drag the downloaded plugins folder to the empty folder that you just opened.
Go back to the main window of plugins, you will see the option of notification sounds. Check the box in front of it.
The sounds can now be changed by going to settings > Plugins and you will see the option of adding a new song, implemented song, where you can change almost every notification sound.
Also Read: How to Check Discord ID Creation Date
To add more songs, make a new category in add new song, and browse sounds from your PC and add them to whichever category you like. For instance, you want to know how to change the Discord ringtone? Go to the category of ringtone and add the song that you like. Similarly, you can change the Discord notification sound for pc.
To summarise in a step by step guide on how to change discord notification sounds, do the following,
- Go to your web browser and download BadagedBD here.
- Make sure that you chose the safe version which is displayed in white color, not red color.
- Open the downloaded Better Discord, scroll to the left menu.
- Next, find plugins, open the plugins folder, an open folder will open.
- Go back to your browser and download the plugin folder from this link
- Accept the download permission, the contents are safe in the folder.
- Further, drag the downloaded folder to the empty folder of plugins you just opened.
- In the plugins menu, you will see an option of “notification sounds“. Turn it on.
- To change the sounds now, go to settings.
- Go to Plugins.
- Add new songs, make a new category with any name and browse your PC for any sound. Choose the category for that sound.
- If you have set the sound for microphone muted, mute the microphone and you will hear the sound you just chose.
Although, this is a rather complex way of choosing customized sound effects for Discord but it functions fine with the Discord application. However, despite its complexity, it is a completely functional way to get your application’s sound settings customized.
In conclusion, it is completely possible to change the discord sound notifications on your PC. You need to follow some steps and have your new customized ringtones ready. I have discussed two methods of doing this, these are simple easy to follow ways that you can use to improve your Discord experience.
The BandagedBD method is a controversial one as some people think it has security issues. However, on a broader level, it is a safe and great extension. One should be careful of the 3rd party apps that offer themes and similar services with every application suit.
To summarize, changing Discord sounds is a worthwhile experience as it lets you have a better Discord experience and customize your application according to your preference.