Discord audio cutting out can be the most irritating thing a team can experience at a deciding state in any multiplayer video game. Many users complain that Discord keeps cutting out during calls. And so, teammates cannot hear their comrades and this changes the course of the game.
Discord is an instant texting and audio communicating application. It is free to use and is very popular among gamers. Friends playing multiplayer games can engage in conversation easily to have the best of times.
But if the audio cutting out does not budge, one cannot enjoy the game in peace. So, to help you resolve the issue, we have gathered these fixes:
- Discord Audio Cutting Out? – Restart
- Make Sure the Problem is not with Peripheral Devices
- Run as Administrator to Prevent Discord Cutting Out
- Adjust Voice Sensitivity
- Make Sure Discord Servers are Working
- Change Discord Server Region
- Update Your Audio Drivers to Resolve Audio Cutting Out
- Update Discord Application
- Check Audio Settings of Your Computer
- Set Discord Audio Settings to Default
- Turn Off Echo Cancellation
- Reinstall the Application
The problem of Discord cutting out can be resolved by these easy to do steps. Many times, just restarting the system fixes it.
12 Methods to Fix Discord Audio Cutting Out Issue
1. Discord Audio Cutting Out? – Restart
One of the most obvious things that one tries to resolve any computer-related issue is restarting the system. When you are running different programs, a big part of memory can be engaged. These applications may interfere with Discord.
Restarting clears everything from the memory. After that run the Discord application and see if it works fine.
2. Confirm that Peripheral Devices are Working Properly
If restarting does not work, double-check all your devices. Try a different pair of headphones. Get a different microphone and speaker. If things start working, it means that problem is with the devices and not the application.
3. Run as Administrator to Prevent Discord Cutting Out
The problem may occur due to the lack of access rights and restrictions. Try running the application as an administrator and check if the problem is solved.
To run the program as administrator, do the following:
- Right click on the discord app icon.
- Click on Run as administrator option from the menu.
See if this solves the problem. If not, try the next fix.
4. Adjust Voice Sensitivity
The problem may occur if your voice sensitivity settings are not configured properly. In that case, adjusting the voice sensitivity will solve the issue.
Do the following to adjust voice sensitivity:
1. Open the settings from the bottom left.
2. Navigate to the App settings and click on Voice & Video.
3. Turn off Automatically determine input sensitivity. You will now see an orange-green slider.
4. Speak into your microphone and observe your sound in the slider. If your sound is orange then it’s not being sent properly. In that case, adjust by moving the slider towards left.
If your sound is green in the slider, then its working all good.
5. Make Sure Discord Servers are Working
Check that the Discord status shows All Systems Operational. If there are any problems with the Discord servers, then you may experience audio cutting and other issues.
When the servers are working properly, you will see a green status which says All Systems are Operational.
If there is a problem with the servers, then all you can do is wait.
In case the status is green, then try changing the server region.
6. Change Discord Server Region
The issue may be due to your server region. The server may be overburdened and cause problems. Changing the server region may solve the issue.
1. Click on the arrow next to server name and select server settings.
2. Locate Server Region and change the server region by clicking on the change button.
7. Update Your Audio Drivers to Resolve Audio Cutting Out
If your Windows audio drivers are outdated then this may be the issue why Discord keeps cutting out. Drivers connect your hardware to the operating system and thus are very important.
1. Open the control panel. Locate and open device manager.
2. Expand Audio inputs and outputs option.
3. Find your audio device (here it’s speakers) and right click. Select update drivers to update your audio drivers.
4. Select Search automatically for updated audio driver software. It will locate and update your drivers automatically.
If updates are not available, try the next fix.
8. Update Discord Application
A new update may be the problem with audio cutting off during use of the application. Discord automatically checks for updates when it is relaunched.
1. So close all the discord processes from the task manager. Press ctrl + shift + esc simultaneously to open task manager.
2. Now launch the application again.
When the new updates are installed, check if the audio is working or not.
9. Check Audio Settings of Your Computer
If you are also facing the same problem with other applications as well, then the issue may be with your system’s audio settings.
1. Type change sound settings in the start search bar and open it.
2. In the window that opens, navigate to the recording tab. Select your recording device. Click OK and check if it solves the issue.
10. Set Discord Audio Settings to Default
If you had previously made any changes in the audio settings of the discord app then that may have caused the problem.
Resetting the the audio settings to default will resolve voice cutting issues then.
1. Open the settings from the bottom left in the app.
2. Locate Voice & Video settings and open it.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click on Reset Voice Settings.
Hopefully this will do if you have messed with the settings before.
11. Turn Off Echo Cancellation
The problem may occur due to echo cancellation which can be turned off from the settings.
1. Open the settings from the bottom left as before. And navigate to Voice & Video settings.
2. Scroll down and locate Echo Cancellation and turn it off.
12. Reinstall the Application
If you have tried all of the above and nothing has worked then try reinstalling the application.
1. Open the control panel from the settings and click on Programs and Features.
2. Find the Discord app and uninstall it.
Check if the issue is resolved.
These easy to do methods to fix the discord voice cutting out issue will hopefully be helpful to you.
Why does Discord Cut Out?
Discord audio may cut out due to many reasons. One being internet connectivity. If you do not have a stable connection then you may face such issues. Another reason being outdated drivers that may cause the problem.
Audio may also cut out if voice sensitivity is not properly configured. In that case, you can adjust the voice sensitivity from the settings as described above.
The problem may also be due to your hardware devices. Make sure to check that your headphones, microphone, and speakers are not faulty before going through all other fixes.
Discord voice cutting out surely does irritate when it occurs in the middle of an important situation. Many a time just restarting does the job. Sometimes its the voice settings and sometimes the outdated drivers.
If the servers are down then you can’t do anything but wait for them to get back up. So don’t waste time trying different things in that case.
Keep your drivers and the application itself up-to-date to avoid facing such issues. Validate that the fault is with Discord by checking audio on other applications.