Dell S2716DG is a mid-range monitor display which is using LCD technology. It is under criticism for washed-out colors and unbalanced brightness issues. But, a few calibrations like through the Nvidia control panel, would solve these issues and provides you sharp and vibrant colors.
Now, we will discuss calibrations with and without the Nvidia control panel, that will provide you seamless display during gaming or other activities. These settings will also work for Dell S2716DGR. Because both these monitors have almost the same specifications.
Things to do before applying Calibrations on Dell S2716DG
There are few things you need to check before applying calibrations. So that, you can experience the best out of it. These are as follows:
- Your computer should have newer models of Nvidia GPU.
- The monitor should be connected to the computer via a Display port instead of HDMI. Also, G-Sync and 144Hz will work only when connected through the Display port.
- Your computer should have the latest drivers of the Nvidia GPU.
- The latest drivers of Dell S2716DG should be installed on your computer.
- You should also install Nvidia GeForce Drivers along with Nvidia Control Panel. These driver versions should match your GPU. You can download these drivers from the Nvidia GeForce website.
How to calibrate Dell S2716DG?
Before calibrating your display, you must install all required software and drivers mentioned above. Now, check that your monitor is properly connected to the computer and the image is properly shown on display.
Also Read: ASUS VG278Q Review: Ultimate Hands-on Review
Now, set the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor to 2560 x 1440 pixels and 144 Hz respectively. You can change these settings in the Display menu in the Windows Settings app.
For enabling the G-Sync feature, go to Nvidia Control Panel. On the left menu, click on Set up G-Sync and check the box Enable G-Sync. Also, in the monitor display settings, set the Response time to Normal or 3ms by using monitor buttons.
We have noticed that when response time is set to fast or 1 ms, the ghosting effect occurs. In the ghosting effect, the shadow of the moving object follows it and motion can feel laggy. So, we recommend you keeping the response time at normal to avoid this.
There are three steps to calibrate Dell S2716DG monitor which are as follows:
- Installing the software.
- Calibrating the monitor through its side buttons and on-screen display(OSD)
- Calibrating the settings in Nvidia Control Panel.
1. Installing Software to adjust Desktop Color Settings:
For Nvidia Drivers to adjust Nvidia Settings:
To experience the best performance, you should install the latest drivers for your device from Nvidia. For this, follow the given steps:
1. Go to Nvidia Drivers website.
2. Now, in the next window, fill the details about your Nvidia GPU version.
3. After that, Download button will appear. Click on it.
4. After downloading, run the package to install it.
5. Now, on the installation window, select Nvidia Graphics Driver and GeForce Experience and click on Continue.
6. In the next window, select the Custom installation and continue.
7. Now, check all the boxes except Perform complete installation and click on continue.
After all these steps, reboot your system. Now, Nvidia driver and GeForce Experience software will be installed on your computer.
For Dell S2716DG Driver:
Although the Dell driver does not brings major improvements to the display. But we recommend you install it because it comes with pre-applied settings that will help produce better colors. It also enhances picture production. It has a very simple installation process.
Firstly, download the Dell S2716DG driver from the Dell website. Then, simply Run it to install it. After installation, reboot your system to observe the changes. Also, you can see in the Device manager, that your monitor is showing as Dell S2716DG instead of a generic display.
Calibrating in OSD menu:
Every monitor or TV display has a built-in settings menu to modify the display settings of the screen. You can access these settings by using the physical buttons of a monitor.
We can calibrate the brightness, contrast, color, etc of the monitor through this menu.
Our team has experienced various configurations to get the best possible image results. Finally, we have found the optimal configuration that will produce sharp and appealing colors on the monitor.
The perfect values for all the display parameters are given in the following table:
|Monitor/ Colour Settings||Level|
Calibration of Nvidia Control panel software:
This is the final and most important step. When you install the Nvidia driver, it automatically installs the Nvidia Control panel with it.
Also, you can go to this menu by right-clicking on the desktop screen. In the drop-down menu, you can see the option of Nvidia Control Panel.
In addition, you can change display settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. These settings include a selection of GPU and calibration of color settings of a display. We have tested out several color configurations and finally found the best one.
Therefore, after opening Nvidia Control Panel, click on “Adjust desktop color settings” on the left side of the screen. In the next window, select “Use Nvidia Settings”. After that, select color channels one by one and change their values.
Now, perfect values of all parameters for different color channels are given below to use in Nvidia Control Panel:
Also, adjust the Digital Vibrance at the level of +45%. After that, apply these settings and exit from the Nvidia control panel. Finally, restart your computer to observe the effect of all these settings.
Brief Review of Dell S2716DG Monitor
The Dell S2716DG comes in a very elegant and sleek design. Its bezels are so thin that most of the time these are unnoticeable.
The Dell S2716DG is a mid-range monitor and yet it offers some high-end features. It has 1440 pixels and a 144 Hz supported screen. It also supports the G-Sync feature which helps in producing sharper and crisper pictures.
There are 4 3.0 USB ports available on this monitor. Two USB ports are on the left side of the screen along with the headphone jack.
Similarly, the other two USB ports are on the back of this monitor. Hence, you can connect the keyboard or mouse through these USB ports.
Finally, about the performance, this monitor offers you sharp colors and an excellent response time. Also, the 144 Hz refresh rate produces very smooth visuals. In addition, the response time can go up to 1 ms.
One thing to note, that this display works on LCD technology instead of an IPS panel. Therefore, it produces less accurate colors as compared to the IPS panel. Also, there is no dedicated game or movie mode on this monitor. So, you have to configure it every time based on the scenario.
But, if you apply the settings given above then, you can enjoy a seamless experience in every situation.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to reset Dell S2716DG monitor?
To reset your monitor to default settings, follow the given steps:
- Enter into the On-Screen Display(OSD) menu of your monitor.
- Here, look for the option Others and enter into this menu.
- Now, you will see an option of factory reset in this menu. Select it and perform reset.
After that, your monitor will be reset to the default values. Any changes you made in these values will be lost.
How do I run the Built-In Diagnostics?
Dell S2716DG comes with a built-in diagnostics feature through which you can easily determine any abnormality in the screen. The problem may occur either because of a screen or graphic card. To diagnose your monitor, follow the given steps:
- Disconnect the video cable from the monitor to enter into the self-test mode.
- There are four buttons on the front panel of the monitor other than the power button. Press and hold the first and last buttons for 2 seconds. A gray screen will appear.
- Check if your screen has any disability or not.
- Now, press button 4 again and the color will change to Red.
- Again, check for any problem on the screen.
- Similarly, repeat the step 4 and 5 until the test completes.
- The test will be completed after showing the white screen.
- At last, press button 4 to exit from the Built-in Diagnostics.
How do I run the Monitor Self-Test?
If your monitor is not functioning properly, then you can check it through a monitor self-test. For instance, if your monitor and CPU are connected properly but a black screen is appearing, then you can diagnose it using this method. For this:
- Firstly, turn off both CPU and monitor.
- Secondly, disconnect the video cable from the monitor.
- After that, turn on the monitor.
- Now, again turn off the monitor and connect it to the CPU with a video cable.
- At last, turn on both CPU and monitor.
If your screen remains blank after the above procedure, then there is a problem with your graphic card or CPU. Because the monitor is functioning normally.
In this article, we have discussed the optimal settings of Dell S2716DG which offers sharp and appealing colors. To sum up, by adjusting color settings in Nvidia Control Panel and On-Screen Display, we can improve the picture quality.
In conclusion, I hope this article proves helpful in solving your problem.